On Wednesday, I promised to post a Jay/Ye playlist for your long run this weekend and here it is. I’m scheduled to do my first 6-miler on Saturday so this playlist is absolutely necessary.
1. Kanye West. The New Workout Plan :: This song is the definition of a hot mess, but it’s so funny that it will definitely distract from the pain/wheezing of the dreaded first mile.
2. Jay-Z feat. Rihanna and Kanye West. Run This Town :: I already liked this song, but once I became a runner I acquired an obsession with pretty much any song that includes the word “run” in it. Totally normal right?
3. Kanye West feat. Pusha T. Runaway :: The first time I heard this, I was so mad that Kanye felt it was ok to use the word “douchebag” in a song. But now I love it and it’s one of my favorite songs to run to. It’s especially great when I’m in a “boys are stupid” kind of mood.
4. Jay-Z. 99 Problems :: I wish I had some philosophical reason for loving this song so much, but I don’t. It just goes hard.
5. Kanye West & Jay-Z. H*A*M :: I’m not gonna tell you how long it took me to figure out what HAM meant. I guess I wasn’t paying close attention to the lyrics. Embarrassing. Either way, this is the perfect pre-race/get-fired-up/I’m-gonna-smash-my-PR song.
6. Jay-Z. Show Me What You Got :: Wave to your fans as you run past them. One of my running dreams is for this song to come on right as I’m chicking a guy so I can throw my hands up and wave goodbye. For those of you who are unfamiliar with that term…
7. Kanye West feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver. Monster :: When Kanye and Jay performed this at their concert the other night, the energy in the arena was out of control. I know every time I listen to it during a run from now on, I’ll remember that moment and literally run my lungs out. Warning: neither this song nor the video are suitable for children. seriously. that video gave me nightmares.
8. Jay-Z. I Know :: This song is perfect for when you want to maintain an easy pace. It’s smooth and laid back without feeling too slow, which is exactly how long runs should feel.
9. Kanye West feat. Mr. Hudson. Stronger :: This song will make you run harder, better, faster, stronger. Enough said.
10. Jay-Z. Young Forever :: I love this song. It reminds me of my last semester of college when I went to happy hour more times a week than I went to class, spent every day with my sorority sisters and pretended like the real world wasn’t coming anytime soon. It’s perfect for a cool down because it reminds me to stop focusing on pace or distance or how many calories I’m burning. I just want to run and enjoy my life while I still can. P.S. if you never saw Jay and Bey perform this at Coachella last year, click that link immediately.