I have a 7 mile solo long run scheduled for tomorrow. For my last 2 long runs, I’ve had an amazing running partner to distract me from the pain of the last mile with his corny motivating speeches and offers to pull me through the last mile. I usually love running alone, but now I’m spoiled. I contemplated doing the 7 miler at my gym in the Cardio Cinema, (last night they were playing Save the Last Dance!) but that would be too mind-numbingly easy. And I’d prefer to save my treadmill runs for really bad weather. Hence the Solo playlist. Solo jam session on the trail tomorrow!
2. Madonna. Miles Away :: I secretly love Madonna. That is all.
3. Gyptian. Hold You :: Reggae is the only genre of music I can dance to without feeling like the most awkward person in the room. This is my favorite reggae song right now. There’s a remix with Nikki Minaj that is pretty good too. I can’t believe I just said that…
4. Beyoncé. Why Don’t You Love Me :: Don’t let the title mislead you…this song is all about confidence. And running has given me more confidence than I’ve ever had. It also helps when you’re going through a breakup. He doesn’t want you? Who cares?! All this running is gonna have you looking like Beyoncé and then he’ll be sorry. (disclaimer: you’re gonna need to add some lunges, squats, crunches, reverse crunches, bridges, and leg lifts to all of that running in order to get Beyoncé’s body. and possibly some implants.)
5. La Roux. Bulletproof :: There’s a rule for long runs: if you can’t hold a conversation, you’re running too fast. If you’re running solo, try singing “this time babyyyyyyy, I’ll beeeeeee bullettttttproof.” If you can’t do it, you’re running too fast.
6. Glee Cast. Last Friday Night :: Every song Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) sings gets downloaded onto my iPhone immediately. I’m gonna listen to this tomorrow and pretend that I had a crazy Friday night instead of studying Con Law at Starbucks until it closes.
7. Those Darlins. Night Jogger :: I have no idea how I even know this song. It probably has to do with the fact that the lyrics include this gem: “you got your favorite song so keep jogging on. you’re burning fat, you’ll never look back. night jogger…what you running from?” I can’t believe someone actually wrote and recorded those lyrics. I love them for it.
9. David Guetta feat. Usher. Without You :: This video makes me laugh. Usher is singing his heart out to the victim of another failed relationship while David Guetta and friends are having a worldwide dance party. Which is what I do every time I hear this song. Every. Single. Time.
10. Lady Gaga. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich :: If my little sister, Joi, and I had a reality show, this would be our theme song. Either this or All I Do is Win. Jerrell and Joi Take DC. Fall 2013. (I am 100% joking for those of you who are unsure)